Summer Games! Congratulations to Montgomery athletes for their accomplishments.
Dear Volunteers. Special Olympics International has recently adopted a Concussion Awareness and Safety Recognition policy that requires ALL Special Olympics coaches/volunteers (certified or not certified) to get online training free of charge. This is in keeping of Special Olympics ongoing efforts to ensure the health and safety of all Special Olympics participants. All Special Olympics participants should remember that safety comes first and should take reasonable steps to help minimize the risks for concussion or other serious brain injuries.
- Effective immediately all NEW volunteer coaches must complete;
- General Orientation (no renewal)
- Protective Behaviors Training (every three years)
- Concussion Awareness and Recognition (every three years)
- From now through December 31, 2015 all CURRENT volunteer coaches (certified or not) must complete the Concussion Awareness and Safety Recognition online training.
- There are two online courses you may use to become trained;
- SOPA Recommended: National Federation of State High School Associations Concussion in Sports training course which is available at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/38000
- The Center for Disease Control’s Heads-Up Concussion in Youth Sports training course, which is available at http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/online_training.html
*******We will continue to ask that all State Games coaches complete before attending Games and will continue to offer onsite Coaches Concussion Training at all State Games throughout 2015. Regardless of attending a State Games or not, all coaches/volunteers are required to complete this year. If not completed, they are ineligible to coach in 2016.
An additional component to SO’s concussion awareness is educating families and support systems. Once finalized, we will be sending further information to program leaders and all coaches with steps to ensure parents/guardians are provided information and acknowledge receipt. Please email email@example.com with specific questions.
Thank you, SOPA Sports Staff
Concussion Family Information_Feb2015 (2[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [385.4 KB]